The Malaysian Timber Industry Board, abbreviated MTIB, is a statutory body under the Ministry of Plantation Industries and Commodities (MPIC) which is responsible for leading and developing the country's timber industry. MTIB is entrusted to coordinate in formulating policies and strategies to develop the country's timber industry so that it is competitive in the local and international markets.
MTIB was established under the Malaysian Timber Industry Board (Incorporation) Act 1973 [Act 105]. This Act is a Federal Act of Malaysia made on 1 June 1973 which is a body corporate or a federal statutory body agency under the auspices and supervision of the Ministry of Plantation Industries and Commodities (KPPK). To ensure that MTIB continues to be the leading agency in the development of the country's timber industry, Act 105 underwent a comprehensive amendment in 2010 and was subsequently enforced through publication in the Government Gazette on 15 March 2011.
To be the prime agency instrumental for the development of a competitive timber industry.
To enhance the sustainable growth of the Malaysian timber industry through the provision of a conducive environment and continuous extension of quality services.
- Ensure that applications for registration as exporters, suppliers, processor,graders and jetty operators are approved within 3 days of receipt of the applications;
- Ensure that applications for the renewal of registration are approved within 2 days of receipt of the complete applications;
- Ensure that each application for the renewal of export and import licenses are processed online and approved within 30 minutes of receipt;
- Carry out timber inspection services on export consignments on the date of inspection requested, provided the application is received at least a day prior to the inspection date;
- Ensure full payment is made within 12 days after receipt of invoices;
- Conduct the Timber Verification Service in the period not exceeding 3 days after receipt of application;and
- Provide feedback to all trade inquiries received within 2 days.
MTIB is responsible for initiating development of the various sectors of the timber industry and providing technical, marketing and other forms of assistance to ensure their continued growth within a rapidly industrialising Malaysian economy. As specifically provided by the Act, MTIB objectives include:
- To further enhance industrialisation and upgrading of the timber industry with emphasis on value-added processing.
- To promote and improve the markets and marketing of timber products.
- To facilitate and strengthen the development of SMEs.
- To develop and promote standard in quality timber products.
- To foster orderliness in timber trade.
- To regulate and control the trade in, and the marketing and distribution of timber;
- To promote and improve the trade in, and markets for timber;
- To co-ordinate activities for effective marketing and shipping of timber;
- To encourage effective utilization of timber with emphasis on product diversification and to promote improvement and economy in the methods of processing timber;
- To provide technical advisory services and training required to assist in the development of existing timber industries and the establishment of new industries;
- To assist the timber industries in the marketing of timber;
- To organize and assist in the consolidation of the small-scale timber industries and the closer integration of the activities of the timber industries generally, so as to achieve greater efficiency in, and secure a stronger base for, the timber industry as a whole;
- To gather information on and maintain records of all relevant matters relating to the timber industry; and
- Generally to do everything within the scope of the objectives for the betterment and proper conduct of the timber industry