MTIB is responsible for initiating development of the various sectors of the timber industry and providing technical, marketing and other forms of assistance to ensure their continued growth within a rapidly industrialising Malaysian economy.
As specifically provided by the Act, MTIB objectives include:
- To further enhance industrialisation and upgrading of the timber industry with emphasis on value-added processing.
- To promote and improve the markets and marketing of timber products.
- To facilitate and strengthen the development of SMEs.
- To develop and promote standard in quality timber products.
- To foster orderliness in timber trade.