The objectives of MTIB CB's Product Certification Scheme are as follows:
1. To operate certifications in an appropriate, clear, transparent and non-discriminatory manner
2. To comply with international certification systems and to keep pace with industrial development
3. To assist the Malaysian timber industry in complying with international market requirements
The Product Certification Scheme of MTIB CB is based on two (2) technical criteria, as follows:
1. The products are in conformity with the applicable standards.
2. The manufacturers have adequate quality assurance system to maintain the conformity of the products with the standards.
The Product Certification Scheme of MTIB CB consists of the following elements:
i. Initial Assessment - Inspection before a license is granted
a. Selection and testing of one or more samples of the product, representative of production.
b. Assessment of the manufacturer's Product Quality Plan.
c. Assessment of implementation of the manufacturer's Product Quality Plan.
ii. Ongoing Assessment - Surveillance after a license is granted
a. Assessment of implementation of the manufacturer's Product Quality Plan.
b. Scheduled and unscheduled factory and market-place surveillance
i.e. selection of samples from the factory or the market-place or both